Letter to Premier Wynne from Dr. Keith Stelling re: Amherst Island & endangered species
Keith Stelling, BA (Hons) MA, (McMaster), MNIMH, Dip Phyt, MCPP (England)
RR1 Southampton, Ontario, Canada N0H 2L0
July 31 2013
The Honourable Kathleen Wynne,
Premier of Ontario and Minister of Agriculture
Queen’s Park, Toronto, Ontario M7A 1A1
Hon David Orazietti,
Minister of Natural Resources
Premier Wynne and Minister Orazietti:
COMMENTS RE: EBR Registry Number: 011-9446 Amherst Island Wind Energy Project – Permit for activities with conditions to achieve overall benefit to the species – ESA s.17(2)(c) Ministry of Natural Resources.
I am bringing this EBR submission to your attention so that you may become aware of the failure of the Ministry of Natural Resources to carry out its duty to protect the environment.
It is disconcerting that only a short time ago your government received many letters from biologists, conservationists and Ontario residents expressing their disbelief at the MNR’s use of “Overall Benefit Permits” to allow renewable energy developments to destroy the habitats of endangered species. There is no scientific evidence, conservation principle or legal basis for the issuing of these “Overall Benefit Permits” which fail to comply to the requirements of ESA s.17(2)(c).
The purpose of this submission is to demonstrate, for the record, that once again the Ministry is failing to use due diligence to protect Ontario’s biodiversity by ignoring available scientific evidence. You will note the four pages of references listed at the end of the submission. It should also be
pointed out that offering so-called “Overall Benefit Permits” to destroy the habitat of endangered species contravenes the Ontario Endangered Species Act and the Federal Migratory Birds Convention Act.
One hopes that by repeating these facts for a new minister and a new premier, it will finally be realized that there is no place for such developments near Ontario’s significant wildlife habitat.
I would appreciate your prompt replies.
EBR Comments Re: Amherst Island Wind Energy Project
- Hon Bob Chiarelli, Minister of Energy email@example.com firstname.lastname@example.org
- Hon Jim Bradley, Minister of Environment email@example.com
- Mr. Andrew Hurd, Senior Policy Advisor, Office of the Premier c/o firstname.lastname@example.org
- Randy Hillier, MPP email@example.com
- Doris Dumais Director, Environmental Approvals Access and Service mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mr. Mansoor Mahmood, Supervisor – TEAM 2 Approvals Services Ministry of the Environment email@example.com
- Ms. Carrie Hayward Ministry Natural Resources Regional Director firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mr. Peter Carter, Ministry Natural Resources, Policy & Program Advisor, Renewable Energy Program email@example.com
- Mr. Eric Boysen, Ministry of Natural Resources, Director – Biodiversity Branch firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dr. John Harrison email@example.com
- Dr. Scott Petrie firstname.lastname@example.org
- Anne Bell Ontario Nature Director of Conservation and Education email@example.com
- David O’Toole, Deputy Minister, Ministry of Natural Resources david.o’firstname.lastname@example.org
- Jim McCarter, Auditor General of Ontario mailto:email@example.com
- Gord Miller, Environmental Commissioner mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org
- Andre Marin, Ombudsman of Ontario mailto:email@example.com
- Tim Hudak, MPP, Leader, Progressive Conservative Party of Ontario mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org
- Lisa Thompson, MPP mailto:email@example.com
- Andrea Horwath, MPP, Leader New Democratic Party of Ontario mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org
- NDP Research mailto:CervoniE@ndp.on.ca
- Chief Randall Kahgee, Saugeen First Nation, mailto:email@example.com
- Chief Scott Lee, Chippewas of Nawash Unceded First Nation mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org
- Agatha Garcia Wright, Environmental Approvals Branch mailto:email@example.com
- COSEWIC Secretariat, Canadian Wildlife Service Environment Canada
- Caroline Schultz, Ontario Nature mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dr. Ted Cheskey, Conservation Ecologist, Nature Canada tcheskey(@)naturecanada.ca
- Dr. Jon McCracken, Bird Studies Canada mailto:email@example.com
- Blue Sky, mailto:CBC BlueSky@CBC.CA